Drop of water

Frequently asked questions

Find the answers to commonly asked questions below. Still have a question? Please contact us.

How do I donate?

Currently, there are three ways to donate. You can donate online now using a credit card or PayPal. You can also add your donation to your HRSD/HRUBS online bill payment. Donations via check are also accepted by mail. You can help support families in need anytime by mailing a check to:

H2O Program, HRSD
P.O. Box 5917
Virginia Beach, VA 23471-0917

Please make all checks payable to “H2O.”


Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes. In 2011, the Help to Others program received nonprofit 501(c)(3) status, making all program donations tax deductible. Furthermore, 100% of your contribution is applied directly to the water or wastewater bill of someone in need. Thanks to the collaboration of local water utilities, HRPDC, HRSD and The Salvation Army, donated funds are never used for any administrative expenses.


How many times can families receive assistance from H2O?

Public water/wastewater utility customers can receive financial support one time in any 12-month period for their balance due, up to $500.


Who administers the H2O program?

H2O is administered by the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission and HRSD, in partnership with The Salvation Army.

Who can receive support from H2O?

Families who receive aid from H2O must live in the service area of a participating utility, which includes public water utilities in Hampton Roads and HRSD.


What are the eligibility requirements for H2O?

Eligibility is determined using a few key factors. Applicants must be able to show that a personal or family crisis is preventing them from paying a public utility bill.
Crises include, but are not limited to:

  • death of a head of household or other family member
  • a catastrophic illness
  • a drastic decrease in family income

Additional situations may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The Salvation Army has been given the flexibility to interpret what constitutes a personal or family crisis in these instances.


How do I request support from H2O?

The Salvation Army determines a family’s eligibility for H2O funds. Individuals must apply for H2O assistance at the Salvation Army office serving their locality. Visit our Get Assistance page for contact information. We cannot process online requests at this time.


What do I need to provide when I request H2O assistance?

In order to be eligible for H2O assistance, applicants must provide:

  • Photo ID
    (ex., driver’s license, company-issued ID card)
  • Proof of Residency
    (ex., copy of most recent utility bill, current lease)
  • Proof of Income
    (ex., most recent pay stub, disability payment statements, retirement payment statements)
  • Proof of Hardship
    (ex., death certificate, proof of health condition or medical bill, proof of disability, layoff notice, unemployment benefit statement)


When is support available?

Support is available for families all year long until H2O funds are exhausted. More specifically, we provide distributions every other month to the participating localities with funds from donations. Unfortunately, if a locality has run out of its allotted funds for the period, The Salvation Army may have to suspend the program temporarily until the next distribution when new funds are available.


How many times can families receive assistance from H2O?

Public water/wastewater utility customers can receive financial support one time in any 12-month period for their balance due, up to $500. In some instances, The Salvation Army may determine how much, if any, partial payment is required by program recipients.


In what financial format do families receive support from H2O?

Once eligibility is verified by The Salvation Army, HRSD will submit a payment on the customer’s behalf to the appropriate water/wastewater utility company.


Is there anything families must do in return for financial assistance?

If there are any signs of water waste, recipients must participate in an educational program (ex., water conservation) as recommended by The Salvation Army. The Salvation Army should be allowed the flexibility to determine the needs of recipients based on available services.